Featured Post

Saturday Matinee: The Paperboy starring Matthew McConaughey, Zac Efron and Nicole Kidman


Since I'm flying off into the sunset today, or at least to South Florida, to spend some time in the Keys, Fort Lauderdale, the Everglades and maybe see a gator or two—that's the name of a cocktail, I hope—I thought I'd try to find a movie set in Florida for today's Saturday matinee.

And what did I find, The Paperboy, a steamy film noir set in swampy South Florida. The Paperboy, based on the book by Pete Dexter, boasts an A-List cast, and an Oscar-winning director. I wrote about the movie back in 2012 when it opened to mixed but mostly lousy reviews. At the time, thinking it looked both trashy and over the top sexy, I was planning on seeing it anyway, but in the end I decided not to fork over the cold hard cash, and like the rest of the world, I forgot all about it. But now that it's available to stream, checking out the official description and thinking about the cast, I'd  say it's worth a long, hot, muggy afternoon, wouldn't you?



Here's the 'official' description (but keep in mind what I told you last time)
A sexually and racially charged film noir from Oscar-nominated director Lee Daniels (Precious), The Paperboy takes audiences deep into the backwaters of steamy 1960s South Florida, as investigative reporter Ward Jansen (Matthew McConaughey) and his partner Yardley Acheman (David Oyelowo) chase a sensational, career-making story. With the help of Ward's younger brother Jack (Zac Efron) and sultry death-row groupie Charlotte Bless (Nicole Kidman), the pair tries to prove violent swamp-dweller Hillary Van Wetter (John Cusack) was framed for the murder of a corrupt local sheriff. Based on the provocative bestselling novel by Pete Dexter (Mulholland Falls, Rush), The Paperboy peels back a sleepy small town's decades-old façade of Southern gentility to reveal a quagmire of evil as dark as a Florida bayou.

And give the trailer a look


Join me for a mid afternoon movie?