Featured Post

Broken by Daniel Clay: Inspired by Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird'


I'm really going to take it easy this Slacker Sunday, and I mean it. I'm sharing links to three posts from the distant past, three Broken related posts from 2013 that have been bringing more than the usual number of people to this blog all week. I'm not sure why unless it's because Harper Lee, the acclaimed and reclusive author of the classic To Kill a Mockingbird has finally agreed to publish another novel, Go Set a Watchman, a sequel of sorts, albeit written before To Kill a Mockingbird. It's already number one on Amazon's best seller list, even though it won't be published until July.

What's the connection? Broken author Daniel Clay was inspired by Lee's classic. Check out my interview with the author to find out how.


Clay was in a somewhat similar position in that his book Broken was optioned by Hollywood before its publication date. The film starring Tim Roth, Cillian Murphy, Rory Kinnear and Eloise Laurence won Best Picture at the British Independent Film Awards and was nominated by several film fest and critic groups. I've posted the links to my thoughts on both the book and the movie below.

Broken: My take on the book by Daniel Clay
Broken: My take on the movie 
My Q+A with the author 
Broken is available to stream on Amazon and on DVD/Bluray at Netflix
Check out the trailer while I get busy doing nothing. 


Ms. Lee's decision to publish Go Set a Watchman may have nothing to do with the rather dramatic uptick in readers checking out the Broken posts, if it doesn't I'd love to know what the reason is. Care to share?