Featured Post

Carrie; Is it just a creepy copy? (First Trailer)

Will the upcoming Carrie horrify a whole new generation of moviegoers or will it be just a creepy copy of the original? It's months and months until the October release date but Sony has just put out the first real trailer. Take a look - if you dare - and see what you think.



I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that the titular character is played by Chloe Grace Moretz; I still see her as the spirited young girl who shared the adventures of the young orphan in Hugo - and now suddenly she's off to the prom. That little girl is all grown up!  Julianne Moore as Carrie's mother completely creeps me out; sending Carrie to her closet to pray, singing hymns as she cuts out dress patterns, presumably while Carrie is locked up, the crazy bubbling just below the surface.  I don't know if this was an intentional reference but I couldn't help but recall the completely creepy Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs who makes clothing from the skins of his big girl victims -  another movie, another book adaptation but the association works for me.

There was some talk that this adaptation might stick closer to Stephen King's best selling book than the 1976 version (see my original post)  but this does all look familiar. Except for the cell phones - which we didn't have in the 70's  of course but which you just know that if we did, all those horrible kids would have loved to have added a barrage of bullying text messages, blasting each other with compromising pictures, sexting and setting up the strange girl who doesn't fit in. The girl with the strange powers; the girl that maybe, just maybe you would be better off leaving alone.

FYI, I shared the first teaser trailer last October here.